Friday, February 13, 2009

First Post of the New Year

I don't know how so much time can go by between my posts when it seems like I just updated it yesterday! Like last year, one of my new goals for the year is to post more often, so let's see how I do this time. Hopefully better!

This is a new personal piece I've started. I got the idea when I was at the beach a few months ago. It was a cold day and hardly anyone else was there. It made the beach seem very private and personal. For some reason, the idea of a son and father sharing a day at the beach like that popped into my head. It's been rattling around for awhile and is finally coming out on paper. I'm trying to play with adding more texture to my digital paintings, so I'm keeping some of the texture of my value rough underneath the painting. This painting is turning out much softer and realistic that my illustrations normally are, but I'm really liking it. I'm going to tighten it up a little, especially the figures, but definitely want to keep the softness.

4 comments:

Piya said...

This is lovely Joni. It's nice to see you branching out with your style too. Looking forward to seeing more!!

Edrian said...

Lovely work! I hope to see more of it soon!

Jonathan Colton said...

This reminds me of a day I recently spent with my daughter.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3xVVChnKjxM/SY0b5rCnXyI/AAAAAAAAAm8/WQpF6j0LxP8/s1600-h/IMG_0183.JPG

Ed Davenport said...

Uh oh... you're in real danger of it also being the Last post of the New Year.

Not that I've got any room to talk...